This conversion kit by Cyclotricity is a great upgrade for any standard bike. With a 250W 36v Front Hub motor it makes fitting extremely simple and there are various battery options making it suitable for almost any bike!
Cyclotricity 250w Front Conversion Kit 17Ah Pannier Battery *NEW*
Equip your own bike with power assistance!
Wouldn’t it be great to keep cycling your ordinary bike yet never have to struggle with hills again? Or carry on your normal commute without having to arrive at work covered in sweat?
Now, you can! This electric bike kit (eKit) allows you to transform your bike into an e-bike for a fraction of the cost. Cycling will suddenly have a whole new dimension to it!
With a Lithium-Ion battery included, this is most probably the best value for money conversion kit you can find on the market.
The kit is a front motor-wheel design, making it incredibly simple to install. It usually takes less than an hour to complete the installation. But if you are not the DIY type, you can always seek assistance from a bike service shop.
A full installation guide can be found here.
If you have any questions before or during install please don’t hesitate to get in contact and we’ll be happy to help.
- Motor: 250W brushless front hub, comes integrated in a wheel size of your choice (reaches maximum speed allowed by UK/EU regulation, i.e. 15.5mph)
- Wheel sizes avilable: 20inch, 24inch, 26inch, 700c, 28inch or 29er
- Wheel material: Double walled alloy rim with reinforced spokes to withstand extra pressure.
- Throttle: thumb type – gradual lever, the further it is pressed, the more power is provided.
- Brake levers: Electric levers that also cut the power when applied.*
- Brake compatibility: Compatible with both disc brakes and V-brakes
- Controller: 14A max current.
- Cables: Motor cable and system cable (designed for simplicity and minimal wiring)
- Box: for mounting the controller (only when a battery is purchased with the system)
- Fork compatibility: Minimum 100mm between fork drop-outs (which is the vast majority of forks).
Apart from a battery, the above is all that is needed to fully convert a bicycle into an electric bike. All our kit packages include these essential items. All you need to add is a battery (and the optional PAS upgrade if required).
While this kit is powered through the use of a throttle, you can also add a Pedal Assistance System to upgrade your kit with further functions.
Pedal Assist System Upgrades
Why not upgrade your conversion kit by adding one of our optional Pedal Assistance Systems (PAS)? A Pedal Assistance System is a device that senses your pedalling and makes your kit give automatic assistance, i.e. you do not have to press the throttle throughout your journey.
We have two PAS packages on offer:
- Pedal Assistance System with LED Dashboard (Basic)
This is our basic PAS upgrade which includes a handlebar dashboard allowing you to shift between three power levels; low, medium or high.
Compatible with the 250W and the 500W systems only.
- Pedal Assistance System with LCD Computer (Advanced)
This is our top of the range electric bike kit upgrade for you who want to combine your conversion kit with state of the art technology, yet at a surprisingly good value. This package combines a Pedal Assistance System with an advanced LCD handlebar monitor which, not only gives you five levels of power, but also displays your speed, journey distance, time, average speed and many other readings.
Compatible with the 250W, 500W and 1000W systems.
Although these are optional upgrades, you are highly recommended to install a Pedal Assistance System as it will transform your riding experience and improve the longevity of the battery. You can add one of these packages to your cart from the “Prices” tab.
IMPORTANT: If you wish to include a Pedal Assistance System with your eKit, the bottom bracket on your bike needs to be a Square Taper type (which is the most common bottom bracket on ordinary bikes). If you don’t have a square taper bottom bracket, you may need to replace it as well as the crank arms to make your bike compatible with the PAS. If in doubt, please consult a bike service shop on how to fit a square taper bottom bracket on your bike.
Alternatively, you may opt for purchasing the LED/LCD Dashboard only without the PAS if you want the Display functions but prefer not to fiddle with your bottom bracket.
The most cost effective strategy in a kit purchase is working out in advance what you’ll generally use it for. That way, you can pick a variation suitable for your needs without adding unnecessary costs. Front and rear drive kits both have their own unique characteristics. We have divided our kits into three categories that generally cover the needs of most people. To help you narrow down what’s right for you, here is a summary the main differences of this particular kit compared to its rear drive counterparts:
250W Front Drive
The front drive kit is a geared hub motor which means it is a lot smaller and lighter than either of its rear drive counterparts, in fact, it is barely noticeable as a motor once installed. In other words, if a lightweight and well disguised kit is of importance, this is a good option to consider.
Combined with pedaling, it gives an all wheel drive experience offering better stability and weight distribution with the battery. It is also a lot simpler to install than a rear drive as there is no need to readjust any gears.
Even though 250W is less power than the other two categories, remember that 250W is the maximum power legally allowed on-road, so it is a perfectly adequate hill climber with equivalent power to the majority of purpose built electric bikes on the market.
The front drive kit is also the most cost effective, in other words, if you intend to use the kit on-road most of the time, this would be the pragmatic choice.
Things to think about before purchasing this front drive conversion kit:
– The front forks on your bike need to have 100mm clearance between the drop-outs (which is the case with the vast majority of bikes).
– The fork drop-outs themselves need to be the standard 10mm size (this is also the most common size for fork drop-outs). If you happen to have the slightly smaller 9mm drop-out, you could file them down by 0.5mm on either side for the motor to fit. Please seek professional assistance for this part as doing it wrongly will be entirely at your own risk.
– The front motor is compatible with the majority of disc brakes. However, certain disc brake calipers are wider than usual which means they may block the hub motor from fitting inside the forks. Please refer to the motor dimensions on the motor tab and measure the clearance inside your forks.
If the dimensions don’t fit, you can replace your disc rotor to a 180mm version to clear the space from the motor, your local bike shop can help with this and provide the relevant adapter to change to a larger disc rotor.
– The electric brake levers supplied with the kits are mechanical*. I.e. they are not compatible with hydraulic brakes or brakes that are integrated with gear levers. However, installing the brake levers are not a necessity and the kit will work fine without them. Moreover, the throttle is spring-loaded, i.e. it will cut the power whenever the thumb is released from it for safety.
*Note: Kits are no longer supplied with brake levers. They are now only available upon request. Most users do not fit them however if you have mechanical brakes which are not integrated into the gear levers and definitely want to fit them then just let us know in the notes section when ordering.
Pannier Rack Battery
With its high capacity cells, the Pannier Rack Battery is all about reliability and range. Provided with its own free rack, it makes for great practical use and can be turned completely inconspicuous when covered with pannier bags.
If you intend on converting a step-through bike, this is almost certainly the most suitable option for your conversion. Available in two versions:
– Suitable for our 250W and 500W motor systems
– Up to 60miles on one charge*
– (comes in black colour)
-USB Port: None
*Range mentioned are based on optimum cycling conditions and can vary depending on various factors such as mode, pedal assist settings, number of stops/starts, tyre pressure, terrain and the weight of the cyclist. Based on restricted 250W mode only.
|Front Wheel Size||
Front 26" 36V 250W Kit, Front 700c 36V 250W Kit, Front 28" 36V 250W Kit, Front 29er 36V 250W Kit, Front 20" 36V 250W Kit, Front 24" 36V 250W Kit
|Pedal Assist & Dashboard||
None, LED Only (+£36.99), PAS&LED (+£56.99), LCD Only (+£79.99), PAS&LCD (+£99.99)